Goal: Before you leave class today you will be introduced to coding using Karel
- CLASS DISCUSSION:
What is programming?
What is a computer? What are they used for? How are humans like a computer?
What is the difference between a computer and computing?
How are instructions used to execute simple tasks?
- Pair share what the difference is between a computer and computing.
- Log into CodeHS with GOOGLE using your SCHOOL GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
- E-tour the class page for this course.
- As a class: watch the introductory video Introduction to Programming with Karel. You may want to take notes for later reference.There will be a quiz after the video.
- MEET KAREL THE DOG
- View the example Our First Karel Program. Note how each command is written.
- Experiment with the results of writing the instructions in various order with Your First Karel Program. In addition, experiment with what happens if commands are capitalized, parenthesis are left off, or semi-colons not present.
- If you are experiencing trouble with the program, examine a working program from a fellow student and discover your error.
- BEFORE YOU LEAVE, WRITE ABOUT THE FOLLOWING in a Google Doc named Web Apps & Coding for this class (you will write in this Doc daily): What can Karel teach us about computing?