Before you leave class today you will be able to:
- Identify and define a problem that could be solved using computing
- Design an app that inputs, outputs, stores, and processes information in order to solve a problem
- Provide and incorporate targeted peer feedback to improve a computing artifact
- This whole unit we’ve been learning about the problem solving process and how computers process information to help solve problems. In the previous lesson you learned how apps help solve problems by taking inputs and processing them to create useful outputs. Today we’re going to start a project where you and a partner will design an app to solve a problem of your choosing.
- Everyone get a copy of the Apps and Problem Solving – Project Guide as well as Apps and Problem Solving – Rubric.
- READ the Project Guide – Apps and Problem–QUIETLY on your own–the WHOLE thing to provide you with an overview of the entire project. You will NOT do the whole thing today. Just read it. (5 minutes)
- READ the Problem Solving – Rubric so you know how you will be scored. (5 minutes)
- STEP 1: Get into groups of 2
- STEP 2: Brainstorm Problems: Spend several minutes silently brainstorming problems and recording them on your project guides. At this point you shouldn’t be thinking about an app you want to build or even whether it’s possible to solve this problem with an app. Make sure you’re beginning with the problem rather than the solution.
- STEP 3: Choose Your Problem: The project guide provides several criteria you can use to assess which of you problems you’d like to address. Look forward to Step 4 if you need more guidance on how you’ll need to define or scope your problems. You will have a few minutes to discuss with your group and choose the problem you’d like to do.
- STEP 4: Define Your Problem: For this step students will need to appropriately scope their problem by defining who their audience is, what specifically is the problem, and how they will know they have fixed it.
- STEP 5: Your App: Once you have scoped your problem discuss an app that could be used to help solve your problem. To begin you’ll just need to provide a high level description of the app that describes how a user would use it and what it does.
- Make sure you name is on your paper & turn it in.
- Go to your Word Online file and write about how today’s class went.