In Week 7 students learn about protecting their data and personal identity. According to government and private sector statistics, approximately 17 million people become victims of identity theft every year. College students are not immune to identity theft, yet a 2015 Javelin Research study found 64% of college students responding “They were not very concerned about identity theft”. The same study found that college students were the demographic segment least likely to detect identity fraud themselves. In fact, the study found that college students were three times as likely to find out they had been victimized only after being denied credit or contacted by a financial institution and four times as likely as the general population to be a victim of “familiar” fraud.In the Budget Challenge, there are several unexpected events that occur during the simulation. In the event of identity theft, students may or may not be responsible for financial consequences of an event such as their credit card information being stolen. Like in real life, it would depend on the circumstances. Before you leave class today you will learn about:
- Password Protection and safeguarding personal information (CW7.1)
- Identify Theft (CW7.2)
- Online fraud (CW7.3)
- Credit Card Fraud (CW7.4)
- Log in to your Budget Challenge account
- From your Dashboard under Written Tests click VIEW DETAILS and next to (CW7) DATA PROTECTION click UNIT MATERIAL
- READ EVERYTHING & WATCH ALL THE VIDEOS!! TODAY IS A LEARNING DAY!!
- Once you feel like you know everything there is to know from the Unit Materials, take the quiz–you do not have to do this today!