Today you will have an excellent opportunity to show initiative and to set a GREAT example for your classmates!! Please read all of the following and then do it starting with #1. Help each other! Be a good teammate! Be kind to others!
GOAL: Before you leave class today you will have the opportunity to decide what we will do in this course and establish your Office 365 account
- Today you will receive your job assignments and will start earning your salaries. Get your job offer letter. Sign the letter–using blue or black ink and give it back to your teacher.
- While you are NOT training for your job, do the following ON YOUR OWN. Try to finish all #1 to #5 below TODAY!!
- Go over Day 1 stuff not covered last class
- Listen & watch this video on your Chromebook, but actually DO what I am doing in the video on the computer you are sitting at in my classroom: Watch AND DO this video on how to login to your existing Office 365 account.
- We will use Office 365 in this class instead of Google Drive.
- GET YOUR PASSWORD HANDOUT FROM YOUR TEACHER when you are prompted to enter your Office 365 password.
- COMPLETE THIS FORM ABOUT POSSIBLE PROJECTS FOR THIS CLASS
- Go to the 8th Grade Documentary Student Page of Fame and explore ALL CLASS!!! There is a lot to look at!! What do you want to learn during this class? You will answer this question at the end of class today. Please pick at least 3 different topics/units you would like to explore and rank them with #1 being your most favorite unit/topic. Be sure to explain why you chose each unit/topic. Use good writing skills. Be sure to include your answers to these questions in your daily writing for today below.
- COMPLETE THIS SURVEY ABOUT WHAT WE SHOULD DO IN THIS CLASS:
- Today the following people will train for their job:
- HOW TO BE A BANKER
- You will have a bank log (Excel Online) and an envelope for each of your clients, and you should label these clearly with your clients names. Make a sheet for each client in the same Excel Online Workbook.
- The bank log (Excel Online) you hold for each of your clients should always match your client’s own bank log (Excel Online). If the balances do not match, then the you and your client must work together to figure out why.
- You will manage your client’s logs by adding deposits and subtracting withdrawals.
- You should keep about $2,000 in cash on hand in case your clients want to make withdrawals. Any extra cash should go into the classroom cash box. Where is it?
- You will keep a log of all of the money that goes in and out of the classroom cash box, including withdrawals and deposits from the Bankers and the teacher. Create the log using Excel Online.
- HOW TO BE A FINE OFFICER #1
- HOW TO BE A FINE OFFICER #2
- Where is the offense log? Be sure to check it on Ticket Day to see whether any of your clients have committed infractions. One of you create a log using Excel Online & share it with your other fine officers.
- Monitor student’s work areas. Give out fines for messy and/or unclean work areas.
- Monitor student jobs. Give out fines to students who are not doing their job.
- Monitor student behavior in class. Give out fines to students who are not on task.
- How do you fill out a fine ticket?
- Your clients will be bringing their fine money to you (the Fine Officer). Where should you put the returned fine tickets and cash?
- How do you update the offense log once a fine is paid?
- Other questions?
Auctioneer/Rent Payment Collector/Class Store Manager:
- Using a spreadsheet, keep track of everyone who has paid their rent–$500 per month
- How to be an auctioneer
- Determine appropriate auction items.
- Ask the class to help obtain items.
- Plan and facilitate the auction.
Recyclist/Lottery Manager/Visual Display Artist:
- USE THIS TO HELP YOU
- Monitor the recycling bins and trash cans for appropriate deposits.
- Collect $50 from each student to pay for their recycling bill & keep track of who paid using a spreadsheet
- Increase the schools awareness of the importance of recycling by creating signs and flyers.
- Put the name of each person in your class on a small slip of paper. Put the paper in a box. Draw names to see who wins the lottery.
- Determine what type of information is presented on the class bulletin boards and walls and windows.
- Ensure class displays are updated with relevant class information.
- Decorate room.
Electrician/Messenger/Unexpected Events Manager:
- Monitor electricity usage in the classroom.
- Collect $150 from each student to pay for their electric bill. Keep track of who paid using a spreadsheet
- Creatively present ideas on how to conserve energy and reduce the monthly bill.
Attendance Monitor/Attendance Bonus Provider:
- Take daily attendance and record absences.
- Give a $100 to each student for perfect attendance since the last payday/bill day
- Report absences to the teacher.
- Provide students with make-up materials when they return to class & email them the day they are gone to let them know what they missed & what they need to turn in when they return.
- Hand out papers to students.
- Collect papers or homework from students.
- Organize the class supply area and keep it neat.
- Find out how much each of your client’s make for their monthly paycheck
- Write out everyone’s checks BEFORE pay & distribute them
- Monitor spending habits and trends during the class auction.
- Report back to teacher and other students about the buying trends for the auction and how they compared to previous auctions in a Google Doc shared with the teacher and the entire class.