In this class, almost daily, you will be required to improve your employability skills–getting along with others, working as a team, asking classmates for help, helping your classmates, etc. In addition, it is EXPECTED that you show INITIATIVE–that means coming in to class, logging in, going to the lesson plan, and getting started WITHOUT being told to do so–this is a HUGE employability/life skill–do it EVERYDAY in this class!! Also, you will be expected every class to follow written and verbal instructions by reading and following all of the instructions in the lesson plan AND watching/doing the videos that may accompany the day’s lesson.
Let’s work together to make the class AWESOME!!
GOAL: By the end of class today you will know all about this course and the expectations for the course.
- Welcome! You will be earning and spending money throughout the duration of this course. Get your student folder from your teacher.
- Money is earned in two or three ways:
- As a salary for completing a classroom jobs
- In bonus rewards for good achievements/deeds
- By creating your own business (optional).
- Note: Money can also be obtained through loans but they must be paid back with interest
- Money is spent in four ways:
- Paying the monthly rent for your desk. The rent is $500 per month (but desks can be purchased for a one-time payment of $1,500).
- Paying an electricity bill of $150 a month (which can be reduced through the help of the Electrician).
- Buying items or privileges at auctions and/or the class store.
- Paying fines for not following classroom rules.
- TAX DAY–The form is in your folder. Read it thoroughly. Basically, during this trimester, if you do volunteer work or bring in an item/idea for the auction and the volunteer work/auction item is approved, you will get a $100 credit each time. If you do it 5 times you will get a total of $500 credit and will owe no taxes at the end of the trimester. As you volunteer/bring in auction items and they get approved, you need to document it by completing on of lines 2-6 on the Classroom Tax Record and Form. For now, just keep the form in your folder.
- RIGHT NOW:
- Sign the rental agreement that you’ll find in your student folder, symbolizing your entry into the program. The agreement is between Student (you) and Classroom (8th Grade Documentary). You will pay $500 per month unless you save enough money saved to buy it at some point. It costs $1,500 to buy your desk. Sign the form (use blue or black ink) and date it. Turn in the signed form. I will sign it also, and return it to you to hold in your folder as a binding contract.
- Watch this video about the class jobs.–In addition to or in place of the Auctioneer, a Class Store Manager can be instituted.
- Study the class job list by clicking this link. You will need to apply for a job. The job application form is in your folder. You may not receive your first choice, so you need to list your top three selections on the job application. In addition to or in place of the Auctioneer, a Class Store Manager can be instituted.
- THIS IS DUE TODAY!! BEFORE YOU LEAVE THIS ROOM!!! Using a blue or black ink pen, fill out the application (it is in your folder) & turn it in to your teacher. You may want to write your responses on a piece of scrap paper first in case you mess up. Fill out the job application form as neat & clean as possible!! REMEMBER: some jobs require a letter of recommendation. Ask for such a letter from a teacher. Recommendations are due Wednesday. Send an email to the teacher you would like a recommendation from stating what the recommendation is for. Be sure to send the email to email@example.com also.
- You can earn additional money by establishing your own business. You can sell goods or services and be paid in classroom dollars. Examples could include:
- cleaning the desks & computers in our classroom
- coaching in a specialty such as a musical instrument or tutoring
- making and selling craft items such as origami
- To establish a business, you must complete a business license application and submit it to the teacher (the form is under the big black printer). Before granting approval, your teacher will define expectations, including conformance with school standards, and discuss realistic pricing and the handling of money earned.
- You can submit your business license application on Job Assignment and Training Day or anytime thereafter.
- Try playing this game!!!